22 June 2014

Since Alain Resnais died I have been re-watching the films and will post about them some time. Harvard Film Archives - which Charles Olson once introduced for - is projecting them these days in a Le Corbusier-designed theater.. if you're nearby tonight at 7pm is the masterpiece La guerre est finie, next Saturday the 28th at 7 is Muriel, or the Time of Return (my favorite of his, which I will attempt to catch), and Monday the 30th at 7 Providence. The ones I named are the ones I recommend, which doesn't include Last Year in Marienbad, which I consider a valiant attempt to make Robbe-Grillet cinematic as I may elaborate on in said post. I don't know what was available to the nice folks at the archive but the films I consider better than Marienbad (and the others they feature like Wild Grass) of those within reach here, in order of preference: 1. Muriel, 2. Hiroshima, Mon Amour, 3. Le Guerre Est Finie, 4. Providence, 5. La vie est un roman, 6. Night and Fog (short; his short films on Van Gogh, Picasso and Gauguin would also roughly place here), 7. Mélo, 8. Love Unto Death, 9. You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet.


No comments: